The Hellenic Cadastre introduces innovations that constitute it a truly fundamental project for Greece, resulting in significant benefits for the citizens, Hellenic economy, real estate transaction transparency and the protection of environment. The Hellenic Cadastre is an integrated and continually updated information system, which is being established, operated and managed under the responsibility of the Greek State. It provides a platform that records legislative, technical and other information about the real estate properties and the applicable legal rights.
According to Law 4512/2018, the company under the name “National Cadastre and Mapping Agency S.A.” is abolished and replaced by a new public entity under the name “Hellenic Cadastre” (“Elliniko Ktimatologio”), based in Athens. The new entity is supervised by the Minister of Environment and Energy.
In addition, seventeen (17) cadastral offices shall be established, one in each region (except for Attica region where three (3) offices shall be established and Central Macedonia region where two (2) offices shall be established) and other sixty-eight (68) branches at major cities or islands as well. It should be noted that the new entity will be self-funded.
The Hellenic Cadastre is a system of information in which the legal details of the real estate properties and the rights on them are recorded. Its aim is to ensure absolute publicity and security of transactions. The purpose of the entity is achieved by the registration of legal and technical information, the precise determination of the location and boundaries of the real estate and the publication of legal rights over each real property. The development of the Hellenic Cadastre aims at the creation of a modern, fully automated real estate property record, whose details are of an evidentiary nature, ensuring the best publicity and security of transactions.
Specifically, the Hellenic Cadastre:
1. Records all deeds that establish, transfer, change or abolish rights on properties on a real property-centred basis. Thus, everything becomes simpler and more definite.
2. Guarantees all legal details it records, since every deed is registered only after its lawfulness has been checked, meaning that no deed is registered if the transferor is not the person that the cadastre shows to be the beneficiary.
3. Records the geographical description (shape, location and size) of the property too.
4. Unveils and systematically records the State real property for the first time in contemporary Greece.
5. Records the rights evoking from usucaption, which, especially in the province, may constitute the most usual way of ownership acquisition due to the informal nature of transactions.
6. Establishes the compilation, updating and operation of the National Cadastre, in accordance with the applicable legislation;
7. It is responsible for the Updates, Management and Operation of the Registrations and Mortgages System and geodetic material;;
8. It is responsible for the Updates, Management and Operation of the system of pledges;
9. Involves all the required procedures to update and evaluate the topographical maps and topographic diagrams – including the photogrammetric and telescopic tasks, i.e. aerial photographs and satellite images.
Furthermore, the Hellenic Cadastre:
(a) manages the electronic cadastral databases;
(b) co-operates with other governmental bodies to update the geospatial data and maps;
(c) provides services and know-how of its relevant field to third parties, i.e. in the field of geodesy, topography, land registry and geographic information systems.
Disclaimer: While we have made every attempt to ensure that the information contained in this page has been obtained from reliable sources, ARENCORES is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. All information in this page is provided “as is”, with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to warranties of performance and merchantability for a particular real estate purpose.
For specific advice on the information provided and related topics, please contact ARENCORES team.
At ARENCORES we select the target reference by identifying serious and trustworthy potential buyers for your property. We enhance the commercial appeal of our listings using dedicated research and services such as property documentation reports and targeted marketing strategies,
Thanks to years of experience in the real estate market of Chania ARENCORES, has reached a level of specialisation and professionalism designed to increase and significantly improve the range of services offered.
We intend to create a trust-based relationship with our clients by offering our expertise and all our resources to guarantee a successful transaction in a short-time frame.
ARENCORES, is located on 26, Stratigou Tzanakaki Street, 73134, Chania, Crete – office hours are 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For more information on the necessary steps for the acquisition of real estate property in Chania please visit the Property Buyers Page. The page provides several detailed and informative guides to facilitate your real estate decision and property purchase process.
In co-operation with independent lawyers, attorneys and law firms in Chania and through our national and international cooperation network, ARENCORES can provide a response to various legal related real estate inquiries.
Our partners are providing specialized real estate services based on a profound knowledge of the different legal systems and act as international consultants on bi-national legal issues.
All our partners have an intercultural background and specialize in real estate international law, usually as the result of many years’ residence, study and professional practice in several countries.
Whether you’re looking for a detached house, a city center apartment or an office space, our guide will take you through all the required stages, from choosing a property which has the right usage classification to the finer points of the property transaction contracts and completion
Thanks to a selected portfolio which includes luxury apartments, villas and land estates, ARENCORES is able to offer professional guidance in the choice of your ideal property in Crete, with the support of its expertise and local knowledge combined with total confidentiality, exceptional ethical performance, transparency and reserve.